Curtis The Misfit Mystic
Curtis grew up in an evangelical church and was convinced his destiny was to become a Christian pastor. A short stint at fundamentalist Bible college (the dean asked him not to come back!), Curtis began to question his faith. After a decade of heart-felt seeking and tireless research, it was time to go public with his findings. HeresyofTruth.com seeks to become a source of hope for all those who have been rejected by evangelical/fundamentalist Christian churches. Curtis brings all his myriad of life experience into the thoughtful rants and heretical humor that is Heresy of Truth!
Goals of Heresy of Truth:
- To correct the flaws of fundamentalist dogma and help those who have been hurt by the Christianity find pathways to peace.
- Replacing that idea that God is a mythical being that dwells in the sky, with a faith practice that is applicable to everyday life.
- Respect people of all faith traditions, encouraging celebration of our differences and joy concerning the things that we have in common.
- Be funny and look pretty while doing the first 3!
- In his youth Curtis was President of his church Youth Group and traveled with a singing group called “Followers of the Way” and wrote and directed his first play, Heartbreak Christmas, at the age of 13.
- In high school Curtis became highly involved in the arts: Marching and Concert Band, Chorus, and Speech and Theater. He was student director of the junior high choir and was a state finalist in Radio Broadcasting and also would often compete in National Forensics League.
- At the age of 16 he began a love affair with public speaking hosting student council lectures, speaking at the Lion’s Club, and traveling to a nearby school to give a lecture entitled Being Weird and Loving it.
- After a short stay in Bible college Curtis became a regular in the Seattle comedy club scene. He was a touring cast member of Queer as a Three Dollar Bill, Seattle’s longest running gay and lesbian stand-up group and was a semi-finalist in the Seattle International Comedy Competition. Curtis has opened for amazing comedians such as Mitch Hedberg and Peggy Platt.
- Curtis was fortunate to present a forum entitled Why the Christian Right is Wrong! for Gay City Health Project in Seattle
- He was a corporate trainer for a national restaurant chain and both wrote and co-wrote restaurant manuals and training materials.
- Curtis is currently a Media and Communications chairperson and Deacon with United Church of Christ in southern California and administrates the church blog and is a student in the tradition of Ecclesia Pistis Sophia and is a practicing Gnostic.